Monday, October 7, 2013

It's About Time!

That I showed you the final arrangement of the hexagon charm blocks I was working with back in August. This is where it was back then...


This is how it looks now:


I've passed it on to my son to see what quilting design he'll come up with using his long arm skills. In the meantime, I've made a second version of the quilt.

My goal this time was to use up some of the leftovers from the wedding quilt I made earlier this year. (You can see bits of that quilt here.) So I cut 5" squares from those prints and then went down to my LQS to see what there was to use for the alternate squares. Of course there wasn't anything in my stash that I liked with the greens or had enough of for this project!

Once again I began with this layout:


Now that I see it in the photo I like it better than I did when it was on the design wall. Still, it was pretty staid so I moved the values around a bit. I left the hexagons all pointing in the same direction this time though.


A simple two inch border all the way around finishes it off at 40" x 45". I may quilt this one myself. If I do, it will most likely be with simple straight lines going diagonally through the charm squares and the alternate squares - to create a hanging diamond effect. I find it interesting that I'm not, never have been, much of a doodler and now that I'm a quilt maker I also find it challenging to come up with quilting designs. Seems like the same skill set is involved and I still need to develop in that area!

2 comments:

  1. These quilts are both beautiful, and that's a great pattern. How nice to have a long arm quilter in the family. Now that's handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the layouts you chose on BOTH of these -- a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.