Sunday, January 5, 2014

Thoughts on Blogging

I have been writing Morning Pages nearly everyday of my life since I first learned of the process in Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way. This morning I happened on the topic of how and why I blog. It seems appropriate to share some of my thoughts with my readers at the beginning of a new year. Heaven knows I won't think of it when my blogiversary rolls around!

I began blogging in an effort to become part of a new community because much of my old community was taken away from me when my chemical sensitivities were diagnosed. I thought also to share what knowledge and experience I have with others. There has been less of that than I expected, partly because I'm not willing to learn the computer and Internet skills necessary to be effective in that way but also because there are plenty of other folks out there doing a perfectly good job of it. I will  continue to share what wisdom and knowledge I have when opportunities arise.

The biggest reason I began blogging, I think, was as a motivational tool for myself. In general I have no schedule imposed on me by a job or other outside commitments. I thought blogging would be a way to hold myself accountable for the work I did or did not accomplish here in my isolation. Overall it has been reasonably effective in that regard. However, I have to remember to take pictures of what I'm doing so I have something visual to share with my readers! When I fail to do that I also fail to blog about my projects. The work I do is all about color and design. At the root of it all I am a visual artist; pictures are necessary to any discussion of what I'm involved in.

I'm not blogging just for the sake of being a blogger. Or to practice the craft of writing or to make money or to build a following. I blog to keep myself on task with my creative endeavors, to keep me moving forward, and hopefully to occasionally inspire or motivate others. I blog as the spirit moves me and my health allows. I'm tempted - very tempted - to try to post on a schedule. In my gut I know that won't be successful. I suspect I would quit blogging altogether if I kept that up for very long. I just can't be that regimented, not any more. If for no other reason, my body won't co-operate!

This blog is a tool. It's a personal tool that happens to also be public. That's something I need to keep in mind. I appreciate my readers deeply (especially those who comment!) but in the end I do this for myself, not for anyone else.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took the time to share this -- it is important for us to stop and think about WHY we do things!

    I cannot count how many times I refer back to my blog to figure out WHEN I did something! It is my living creativity journal . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I'm not blogging to attract viewers... I'm blogging to keep a record of what I stitch, when I stitch, etc. For the most part, it is photo driven although I do try to keep to a schedule - one post a week as a "wrap-up/goal-setting" post which I find keeps me on track throughout the year (it's hard to keep to a schedule when one is retired, however, so it is a forced schedule, not one deeply rooted in my desire to communicate!).

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.