Saturday, December 12, 2015

Baby Steps

It's been a tough week.


Several toxic exposures and subsequent recoveries slowed down productivity in The Magpie's Nest. Eventually I was able to begin auditioning the little blocks I'd been making for the borders on the twin's rainbow quilts. The first hurdle was to figure out how to lay out both tops with room for the border blocks above and below. I couldn't find a place to lay out both tops simultaneously so I used my bed and the design wall, in two different rooms (but only steps away from each other).



My goal was to distribute the images in the stars and the colors in the blocks as evenly as possible between the two tops. Of course I ended up with a couple of spots where nothing I had would work and new blocks had to be made.


Then there was the matter of doing the math to make the blocks fit the width of the flimsies. Hard to do with a broken brain, let me tell you! In the end the sashes are three quarters of an inch wide and the border strips are framed with half an inch where it will be seamed to the lower edge of the flimsy and one inch on what will be the outside edge. Once the borders have been put on the bodies of the quilt tops I plan to run a 1.5" border strip down each side so all the blocks will appear to be floating on the white ground. I don't yet know just what the binding will be made of but I do know it will be a dark color to frame the quilt tops.

When I finished building the borders I gave myself the reward of using scraps to make a couple of sawtooth stars. I went ahead and sewed up a couple of little Hole in the Barn Door blocks too.

\
You can see at the extreme right side of my design wall that the Diary Quilt has been growing steadily. There have been a couple of days when it was a challenge to find an appropriate print for the day. So far though, I've come up with something before the next day gets very old.

I'm linking up with SoScrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I'm pretty sure I'll be making sawtooth stars next year whether or not I follow along with Angela's quilt plan. :- )

11 comments:

  1. You have two beautiful colourful quilts - lucky twins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope and pray you will recover and be well for the holidays. The stars and hearts are really cute and sparkly, a very good border. If only quilting did not involve math, it would get rid of a lot of frustration! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts are coming together beautifully. Sounds like it has been quite an effort though! Hope all is well soon enough. I am sure the quilts will be a huge hit. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, what a horrible thing to happen. I hope you're on the path to a good recovery. The twin quilts are looking spectacularly pretty! I'm looking forward to a peaceful morning in the sewing room to get another block done for Christina – one done so far. Once hers are done, I have a couple of scrappy blocks to make for 15th, and then another paper pieced item as a housewarming gift. A busy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you had a rough week. Your quilts are coming along beautifully. Love the hearts in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that you've had a rough week. And quilt math strains my brain at any time, so I understand your pain. The quilts for the twins are looking great! I love the hearts you're doing, so cute! Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope things go a little more smoothly from here on out!
    I dither myself silly trying to put a border on one quilt at a time - you are my hero for doing two at once! I can't even imagine... 8)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you're having a rough time at the moment Sue. Your quilts look beautiful and I can see that they are already being appreciated by a certain someone!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. I hope you are feeling better. The pretty bright quilts are hopefully making you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These blocks and tops to be are so pretty - sending all good wishes that you feel better soon (without additional issues)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed this post somehow. I love what you did with mixing the blocks. That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.