Thursday, December 3, 2015

December Stars

Look who's been visiting The Magpie's Nest:


One of the quilting fairies!

The rainbow Ohio Stars have been assembled into quilt tops for the twins. They aren't quite long enough as is however, so I've been making six inch stars this week to use in top and bottom borders.


I'm planning on 36 total. I'm about 2/3 of the way there. Before I make any more I want to begin auditioning placements so I will have good color balance.

I've also made some 8" stars. The first ones will go into the Parts Department for future use.







But four have been turned into potholders for gift giving. :- )

I made up two of these:



And this pair:


On the blue ones I simply quilted in the ditch (mostly) around the center square. But I couldn't resist the opportunity to break out the iridescent thread for the red stars.


It's been so long since I've used decorative threads or stitches, and I was so excited, I forgot to reset my thread tension. Only broke the thread once before I realized what the problem was though! Hopefully this set will be restricted to decorative purposes. I doubt that synthetic thread will hold up to high heat.

I can't yet show you the other things I've been working on. ;- ) Hopefully I won't forget to do that!

3 comments:

  1. So good to have some blocks to put away.Love the top one with a fairy, and the pot holders, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these stars Sue - the twins' quilts are going to be adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blue pot holders best, but then I'm a big blue fan. The reds ones are gorgous too! You've been busy since last time, and it sounds as if the twin quilts are almost ready to unveil...

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.