One of the ladies in our local quilt guild handed out a pattern for an applique block. I don't do applique - it's just not fun or satisfying enough for me. I could have passed on making the block but it occurred to me I might be able to render it in embroidery.
Keep in mind that I'm still fairly new and inexperienced at transferring designs for embroidery. I simply taped this pattern and my fabric to a window and traced it off with a lead pencil. Then I layered it with a piece of muslin and started stitching. I didn't plan much of anything out beforehand. I just wanted to see what would happen.
I took the opportunity to use some of the new floss I've purchased from Nancy at Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe. I'm also experimenting with embroidery stitches.
I couldn't quite figure out how to manage the whole wheel so I just dropped the side panel of the trailer over the tire. Hope they never have to change it! It was fun to do the woven stitches for the hubcap. The tire itself is two passes of herringbone stitches.
|The vertical stripes were created by stacking two passes of blanket stitches.|
My original thought was to decorate the exterior of this caravan as if it had been painted by hippies in the 1960's. It's looking just a bit more traditional now. I might still try to do something wild on the upper section. ;- ) I'm accustomed to fussy-cutting images for details when I make quilt blocks. The windows have me a bit stymied at the moment for that reason. What I'd really like to do is use French knots to create bobble fringe on at least one set of curtains. Just have to decide what type of curtains to put in my trailer!
Of course, the further along I get with this the more ideas I have for variations of the pattern. If you know me well you won't be surprised to learn that I'm thinking that door could easily be shaped like the top of a coffin. It might be fun to embroider this in a light monochromatic scheme on a dark fabric... :D